I’ll never tell you I wish I was 25 again because I’ve been there, and I’ve been here and man am I glad that’s over. I remember reading an article in Glamour back when I was in college. It was a compilation of stories of women in their 40s and 50’s (old people) talking about how great life is at that age and that life gets better every year. I remember thinking, yeah right and what else would you say, you don’t have any choice right? Well, now here I am and I’ll be damned if they weren’t right – it does get better every year.
So, here’s my “going on 48” reflection on why it’s better to be 48 than 28.
1. I don’t live paycheck to paycheck – that feels good and relieves a lot of stress
2. I have the peaceful life that I dreamed about someday having. The man I chased after is hanging out on the couch with me and the dog I always wanted is sprawled out on the floor.
3. I have a job I love. And not by accident but by choice. I took the risk that’s sometimes needed to find what’s really right in life. I also discovered that what I like to do – I’m pretty good at. Isn’t it cool how that happens:)
4. I don’t worry about what other people think. I’ve learned what’s important to me and sometimes it’s not popular with everyone else, and that’s OK. They can do what’s important to them.
5. I don’t sweat the small stuff. I remember a time when I got caught up in all the gossip and hype and criticism going on around me and I probably contributed my fair share. I don’t get sucked in it anymore, it just doesn’t matter.
6. I have great people in my life. I have always been blessed with great friends and the older I get the better my relationships get. I have friends all over the world. Friends with unique and varied lives and backgrounds. My friends are fascinating. When I was 28 my circle of friends was still pretty small and my circle of influence even smaller.
7. I have great experiences to draw from. It practically goes without saying – but I’ll say it anyway – with age comes experience. I don’t mean, “I’ve been around the block” kind of experience, I mean real living experiences. Seeing things, meeting people, doing things, going great places.
8. I’m at peace with who I am. I still am discovering who I want to be and I’m totally enjoying the journey!
Here’s to getting older and more experienced! Cheers!